Sunday, September 21, 2008

Re: Parents checking out books

The only times I have come across a parent wanting to check out a book were when students were out for an extended period of time for various reasons. I checked the books out to the parents in the students' names. I then printed a "receipt" that showed the transaction. Usually this transaction was preceded by a heads from the principal, telling me it was ok to check out the book.
If you are worried about a parent wanting to check out a book for challenge reasons, I would say don't worry about the reason. If your policy is to check out a book to the parent only if the child is not able to attend school, make this clear and direct the parent to the local public library. If the purpose is to challenge a book, the parent will find the book no matter what. Also if the parent does want to challenge the book, make sure you hand the parent the county policy form he/she will have to fill out in entirety.

No comments: